when are roll back taxes paid? Are they paid by the seller when he rezones the land and sells the rezoned land

In Selling Property - Asked by Gayle K. - Dec 2, 2015
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Ricardo R.
Mcallen, TX

Depends on the state where the property is located. Generally, the roll back taxes are paid prior to a plat being legally filed with the recording agency (county or parish records dept) and/or a subdivision being approved and signed by the various entitlement agencies (city, county, drainage/irrigation districts, municipal utility districts etc). A tax certificate needs to be attached in some form to the plat or subdivision.
As to who pays them, its a negotiating issue. Either party can pay them and depending on the overall price its whoever has a greater interest to complete the transaction.
In some states, roll back taxes can be significant, so they should be considered when purchasing a property for an alternative use. 4 or 5 years times the annual rate on the value differential plus interest is not uncommon. hope that helps.

Dec 2, 2015
Report Abuse
Elaine M.
Taylors, SC

The roll back taxes will be paid by either the buyer or seller after negotiations are completed when a final price has been agreed upon.

Dec 3, 2015
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question