do you need a lawyer to put a lein on a commercial property . The seller defaulted and sold the building

sold the building to someone else. I was the sub-agent of the broker who had a exclusive agency agreement with the owner. The total commission was $100,000
In Selling Property - Asked by paul p. - Feb 13, 2011
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Scott B.
Denton, TX

Yes an attorney is needed to effect a lien against real property. The attorney will know the applicable laws of your state relative to filing a lien, notification of intent to file a lien, not attempt to do this yourself or you may find your lien is worthless.

Feb 13, 2011
Report Abuse
James B.
Oakbrook Terrace, IL

If you are uncertain of the law, document format and process for filing, an attorney is recommended as Scott wisely stated. Laws vary from state to state and processes typically vary by county. In my county for example, a broker lien can be filed on commercial property immediately via fax. This should not be an expensive proposition.

Feb 16, 2011
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question