What is the process to go through to correct the SF of an industrial building with County Assessor?

the public record's SF is smaller than the appraisal report.
In General Area - Asked by Amy F. - Mar 25, 2013
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Nadina C.
Phoenix, AZ

Check with the County Assessor to find out the process and the documentation required. It may be an advantage for the SF to be smaller than the appraisal report -- for tax purposes. An owner, buyer, tenant, or lender may more readily accept a current MAI appraiser's report.
If the difference is significant, you may want to research for signs of add-ons that were not completed with permits and inspections. Additionally, for a 2nd opinion, there are companies specializing in measuring commercial buildings using the BOMA standards.

Mar 25, 2013
Report Abuse
Shay M.
San Diego, CA

Go into your County Assessors Office* pull the microfiche' of the Property. Make your reports and Statements very CLEAR : : that a Property has / desires to be changed ( Assessment ) WHY? , has to be a valid proof with Licensed Professionals ... then it becomes a delineation matter of Records... taking about 2 - Four Weeks depending on the Drafting Rooms ( back-log ) ... revisions and regular duties of the day ... Mapping , and or Codeing matters on a City / County Recording ... THEN it has to be ( returned ) to microfiche' which will be notified to you in about 6 weeks time for everyone to see the change... then and only then it becomes a matter of Record Trusted by a General Good of Public Trust. We are WORKING On IT !! ... untill it shows PAID...in Public Record.

Mar 26, 2013
Report Abuse
Marc C.
Peachtree City, GA

I agree that it may be advantageous to leave it lower in the county records. It depends on the location of the property. We work with tax assessors nationwide and each has their own way of handling this. If it is important to you to have it correct, you may supply them with your information in advance but they may wish to do their own field check and measure it themselves. Keep in mind that the county will measure the exterior dimensions, which includes overhangs, stairs, stoops, loading docks, exterior additions, etc. They will probably use the furthest point of any part of the building to represent the exterior measurements. You need to communicate with them, and may have to file a tax appeal, in order for them to recognize net rentable SF rather than gross SF.

Mar 27, 2013
Report Abuse
Robert H.
Hattiesburg, MS

to change any big organization, you need facts from experts. get a one page letter from a local appraiser.

Apr 20, 2013
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question