What are the obstacles for a foreign investor seeking financing for US investment properties such as apts?

What do foreign investors need to do to get US financing on US investment properties, such as multifamily, office, retail?
In General Area - Asked by Timothy C. - Oct 15, 2012
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Tim T.
Clermont, FL

Hello Timothy. I have a foreign client that invests in multi-family and hotels. He was able to get an E-2 Visa, which you may know is a Investor Treaty Visa. If you live in a country that participates in this visa program then it will help you in getting various forms of financing. Thereafter, other details are important, including a individual IRS tax ID number, which in your case would be a ITIN. Follow this link to learn more: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Oct 18, 2012
Report Abuse
Sugar Land, TX

Hi Timothy
Financing on most investments you're asking about depend on the property, You're going to need a minimum of 30% of the sale price as down payment for most lenders to even look at you. Here in TX we have a number of banks that will lend on those properties and financing is relatively easy to procure, Assets are going to have a return of between 5% for A class property and go up from there. Feel Free to contact me if you want to know why Texas specifically the Houston area is the best place to invest.
Arthur Confait

Oct 19, 2012
Report Abuse
Timothy C.
Chesapeake, VA


Oct 22, 2012
Report Abuse
Albert S.
Arcadia, CA

Some U.S. banks offer financing for foreign investors, such as HSBC. Each bank's underwriting requirement is different, so check with them first.

Nov 15, 2012
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question