Purchasing home on 10 ac with Ag exempt Seller has NO records for past 5 years Am I liable for rollback tax?

I will apply for new ag exemption. If appraiser asks for 5 year records of Ag use, seller does not have them. Will I have to start over and wait 5 year to get Ag. ?
In Buying Property - Asked by Gary D. - May 4, 2016
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


David B.
Gainesville, GA

Search County tax records, County Extension office, use dated photos from Google Earth aerials, and other public records; most Counties file these documents and maintain records of use. Take current photos and submit to County Tax office for proof it has not been developed, improved or changed (i.e. mature trees, tall or overgrown weeds, years of drought baked or flooded soils), get a soil sample. Get affidavits from neighbors, etc. There are lots of ways to prove its been maintained as expempt land.

May 4, 2016
Report Abuse
Chris R.
Denton, TX

You would have to confer with the taxing jurisdiction in your area. In Texas - yes there would be rollback taxes for the past 5 years when you take property out of AG and change the use. The tax authority should be able to advise and calculate how much that would be so you will know.

Jun 1, 2016
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question