Overseas buyer puchases an apartment complex in US. Does a foreign owner pay US taxes on revenue?

As a cash buyer, based in Europe, are there any additional fees I would face when purchasing an apartment complex in the US. Then, what US taxes would I have to pay on income generated by my investment. Not planning to move to the US, just making an investment.
In Buying Property - Asked by jonathan h. - Feb 28, 2010
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


John C.
Chicago, IL

You would be responsible for taxes on your world wide income in your home country, i.e. your country of residence. You'd pay US taxes on the US income and get a credit for that on your home taxes.
I'm making some broad assumptions as I do not know the specifics of this case. Assuming properties held in your own name. I have represented several Irish & English investors buying properties in the US and have some experience.

Feb 28, 2010
Report Abuse
Janine S.
Newport Beach, CA

Questions such as this should really be asked of a licensed Tax Professional to guarantee accurate information.

Mar 2, 2010
Report Abuse
Gregory G.
San Francisco, CA

Gregory Garver - Commercial Real Estate Broker
Broker License# 01716531

Mar 5, 2010
Report Abuse
Chris R.
Denton, TX

Generally you would pay taxes in the US for the profit - or what is left over after expenes are paid. You should consult a CPA / tax expert for specifc answers relative to your situation, your country of origin, the property you are looking at, your investment relative to value, expenses, projected income, etc. Chris Rosprim, Scott Brown Commercial, Denton, TX

Mar 6, 2010
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question