If I'm living in a abandoned bldg can I take adverse possession of property legally today in modern nyc 2014

In General Area - Asked by todd alexander b. - Oct 3, 2014
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


M.S. S.
Greenville, SC

This depends on how long you have lived there. Laws differ from state to state. I know that in SC they still want you to contact the owner for legal title. But there is a certain amount of years that you must have openly lived in that space. Meaning that the public and owner have known that you've lived there and not done anything about it.

Oct 3, 2014
Report Abuse
Marvin C.
Tampa, FL

Is it truly abandoned, is someone paying RE taxes on the property? If no one is paying the taxes you may want to consider doing that.

Oct 6, 2014
Report Abuse
Rob M.
Lender/Mortgage Broker
Houston, TX

Are you the last tenant in a rent stabilized or are you squatting in an abandoned building?

Oct 7, 2014
Report Abuse
Shaun D.
Newark, NJ

need to live there for 30 years for adverse possession

Oct 8, 2014
Report Abuse
marco o.
Saugus, MA

Your going to get arrested for Trespassing or breaking and entering adverse possession don't apply and in Massachusetts there's no adverse possession on registered land Run your going to go to jail !!!

Oct 9, 2014
Report Abuse
Tarry C.
Hendersonville, NC

Adverse versus open and notorious. You are probably trespassing or broke and entered. It's not like you have been mowing a section of your neighbors yard and built a shed over the property line. A judge would probably see you for who you have been; a homeless squatter. I'm not being rude to you. Just real given what I know of the circumstances. Attached is a link that may help your case.

Dec 4, 2014
Report Abuse
Holton W.
Property/Asset Manager
Cleveland, OH


Jan 19, 2015
Report Abuse
Sam P.
Redlands, CA

Whether or not you can take property by adverse possession is not a simple question. It is still available and legal to do. However, you must comply with all of the requirements of adverse possession. I don't know all of the specific requirements of New York, but in general, you'll have to pay the property taxes, not be a tenant, live at the property for a minimum number of years, maintain the property, etc. To finally take title to the property after you've met the requirements and period of time, you have to sue in a quiet title action.

May 11, 2015
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question