In Leasing Property - Asked by Jacqueline S. - Jan 21, 2011
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Rob B.
Chandler, AZ

This is a question that is asked frequently. First it would be essential to check with your State Licensing Board. This is the agency that will dictate just what you can and cannot do under your real estate license. They will also provide you with the qualifications necessary to act as an Agent in commercial real estate. As far as training, while I am not a CCIM designate, I have always felt that they group provides excellent training. You can find them on the Internet. However, my personal opinion is that the best approach you can take is to find an agency in your region that will provide a true mentorship program. This can range from an individual commercial broker that will take a personal interest in you to a large firm that has a team concept to introducing their agents to the market place. You can always then add the various designations after your name if you so desire, but meanwhile you have learned through practical application how to serve properly in commercial real estate. Good luck Jacqueline.... Rob Baird, CA RE License #544165 (One of the oldest, active licenses in CA) 951 515-5855 Email:

Jan 21, 2011
Report Abuse
James N.
Flowery Branch, GA

The CCIM courses are far superior to a college degree in real estate. I took all the CCIM courses except the last one which was only available in Chicago.
I have a BBA in Real Estate and Urban Development, Magna Cum Laude from UGA, so when I say these courses are better I know from my experience.
The 1st CCIM course is good for anybody.

Jan 24, 2011
Report Abuse
Davide P.
Pinole, CA

Each state is different, but in California (and I would imagine most states) if you have a real estate license you *can* sell residential or commercial property. The big issue is if you will know what you're doing. There is a HUGE difference between residential and commercial. I'm going to agree with Rob and James in regards to taking the CCIM classes. Once you get the CCIM designation a whole new world opens up in knowledge and network connections. The other educational route would be the SIOR courses, which primarily focus on office industrial and development.

Jan 24, 2011
Report Abuse
David C.
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you for your question about Commercial Real Estate training. The Institute of Real Estate Management is a great source for commercial real estate education. There certifications are recognized and accepted. I have used some of their books in College Courses, Commercial Real Estate.

Jan 25, 2011
Report Abuse
Theodore B.
Houston, TX

In my opinion there is no substitute for "OJT" -On the Job Training experience if you can get some and really would recommend starting here if you can working under an experienced property manager. Getting a CCIM as James stated below or a CPM designation is really good but I believe you will need a minimum amount of experience to become accepted as a candidate for either the CCIM or CPM designations anyway. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Jul 19, 2011
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question