In Leasing Property - Asked by Daulis W. - Nov 21, 2009
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Gene G.
Houston, TX

If I understand your question, you just need to tell someone/advertise the usable square footage of a commercial building. No, a broker is not needed for a measurement. Often times, people will list the footage mentioned on the tax rolls and cite the "per county record/per tax assessor".
If it is for a loan, you may want to have the property surveyed and or inspected for a more accurate number but this is just to satisfy the bank/lender.
Also, confirmation of size is something that should be a part of any buyer's due diligence.
good luck, feel free to contact me if I can help further.

Nov 21, 2009
Report Abuse
joe m.
Columbus, OH

No, why do you think that the county auditor website that lists the building dimensions isn't good enough. The only difference would be if you are only listing a part of the building that is on the county site, They "MAY" not have it listed that way, but by putting in owners' name, the site should have it split up that way.

Nov 21, 2009
Report Abuse
Ladd H.
Hialeah, FL

Normally we use the square footage recorded in the local property appraiser's tax rolls. In the event the owner disagrees with the amount recorded on the tax roll, we will look on the survey or measure the overall dimensions of the property.
We will always disclose the source of the measurement and add that the prospect should independenly confirm the square footage. In the case of offices there are several standards of measurement, such as the BOMA standard, due to common areas, if any.

Nov 23, 2009
Report Abuse
Chris R.
Denton, TX

Certainly not required. If there is question on the figure involved - it is important for all parties to obtain an accurate measurement and one that is typically accepted within the industry. An owner can measure, a commercial RE broker, an architect, a space planner, etc. to come up with the approximate SF. Identify the source and qualify as approximate to avoid disputes. If a large space or with many different areas that make it difficult to properly measure - professional help may be well worth the cost to verify the "exact" SF involved since all pricing gets back to a per SF figure.

Dec 1, 2009
Report Abuse
Gregory G.
San Francisco, CA

No, but many do.
Gregory Garver - Commercial Real Estate Broker
Broker License# 01716531
Web Reference:

Dec 3, 2009
Report Abuse
William H. W.
Bowie, MD

No, he is not required to if he has access to County or State tax records that show "another third party entity that has more authority" than the realtor and more knowledge ie: assessments and constrution permits. However to protect yourself and your errors and omitions insurance you should measure.

Dec 4, 2009
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question