I need help in market value of property for the tax assessors office. Their valuation is too high.

In General Area - Asked by Vernon L. W. - Apr 14, 2011
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Russell R.
Dearborn, MI

You need to appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal if you are in Michigan. Depending on the amount in question: Small Claims division or the full Tribunal, slightly different processes and big cost differences. rraftary@aol.com

Apr 15, 2011
Report Abuse
Rob B.
Chandler, AZ

You should go to the county assessor's office (or call, or look on line). You should ask them the procedure for appealing a valuation. This is happening regularly now. Most counties have a plan and the forms for making this appeal. In California where I am based, I made several appeals on behalf of clients this past November. We filled out the forms and have prepared for a hearing on all these cases. However, the general notice is that they may take up to two years to set the hearing, that taxes must be paid in the meantime and that any relief may only be for a one year period.
Let's hope that our leadership in Washington will allow for the country to get on sound economic footing, whereby the valuations that assessors make on real estate can be justified in the local markets once again. It is not only tough on the owners of properties, but for the local tax agencies that need funds to run their communities.
Onward and upward Vernon..... Rob Baird, CA RE License #544165 (One of the oldest, active licenses in CA) 951 515-5855 Email: rob@capratecommercial.com

Apr 15, 2011
Report Abuse
Mimi K.
Sugar Land, TX

Do you know what is "CDU? Condition, Desirability and Utility - do your homework and go to protest or get a tax protest company to help you.

Apr 18, 2011
Report Abuse
Chris R.
Denton, TX

You can engage the services of a tax valuation protest service, you can hire an appraiser or you can hire a commercial real estate broker / agent active in the area - to obtain valuation and from there submit that info to the tax authority to challenge their valuation.

Apr 23, 2011
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question