How to looking for doctors to lease my medical building ?

In Leasing Property - Asked by kuochung C. - Feb 6, 2011
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Rob B.
Chandler, AZ

Kuochung....I served in hospital administration for several years before undertaking a hospital assignment to work with three doctors to build a medical building in cooperation with the hospital. I completed all the predevelopment work for the docs and the hospital before beginning to work with the docs in order to hiring architects, engineers, a general contractor to successfully complete the building, fill and manage the building. After 20 plus years of keeping the building full and managing the property, my clients the doctors retired and I then sold the building for them. During this 20+-year period, I represented many others in the functions of purchasing, leasing and managing medical properties. Now to answer your question. Find the hospitals that are near your medical building. Meet with the staff administrator and find out who the doctors on staff are. Get to know this person and through her and your own research bring together a list of phone numbers and contact information for the various doctors on staff. When contacting the physician’s offices be honest in talking with the "gate keepers" that watch out for their doctors. (These are the administrative men or ladies who can successfully set up an appointment with their doctor). In that appointment show each doctor clearly the benefits their office can receive by moving to your building. For those that are not ready to move because their lease has not reached term, find out the details of the lease and when it will expire. Be sure to stay in touch with the "gate keepers" as you get closer to the term date of the lease. Then call them back and once again set up a fresh appointment to show the doctor the benefits of being in your building. Short of following this type of process, find yourself a good broker that is use to working in the world of doctors and let him or her represent you. It probably will be the best move you will make in filling your building. Good luck Kuochung.... Rob Baird, CA RE License #544165 (One of the oldest, active licenses in CA) 951 515-5855 Email:

Feb 6, 2011
Report Abuse
Michele M.
Melville, NY

"...find yourself a good broker that is used to working in the world of doctors and let him or her represent you." I agree with Rob.
Also ,anyone who works with doctors, medical space and such will more than likely have a following of this type of client and customers.
Google medical office for lease in your area and see what names appear and then call them and do an interview. Make sure they have an extensive marketing plan and that they incorporate online marketing , social media and flyers and eblasts in order to help reach your demographic.

Feb 9, 2011
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question