How to get deals done outside of the state you are licensed in?

For instance, I have a client that has property in Louisiana but I am licensed in Texas. I assume I would need to get a license in that state to receive a commission, correct?
In Selling Property - Asked by Michael E. - Jun 9, 2011
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Chris F.
Salem, OR

Best thing to probably do is refer the business to a trusted broker in the area and get a referral fee. Depending on the states laws, you might also be able to co-broker the deal with a broker in the area you know. While it can depend greatly on the property type, this is usually the best solution as a local broker will have a much greater understanding of the local market.

Jun 10, 2011
Report Abuse
Gregory G.
San Francisco, CA

Find a co-operating broker that is licensed in that state and give him 10 or 15 percent.
Gregory Garver - Commercial Real Estate Broker
Broker License# 01716531
Web Reference:

Jun 11, 2011
Report Abuse
Rob B.
Chandler, AZ

You will end up cooperating with an in-state broker in one way or another. It will depend on the licensing rules in both states as to any restrictions on receiving payment for your work.
If you are representing a buyer in your state that is buying in another state, you may not have any problem collecting the buying side commission in your state.
If you are representing a property owner in another state, you will both practically and I believe legally have to have an in-state broker take the listing. This will probably require you limiting your fee to a small referral portion of the commission. (Limited by state laws again).

However, if a listing in another state has a commission that is large enough for the instate agent to take his or her more normal 50% listing side commission for representation and marketing, and will still allow the necessary incentive for a buyer's representative in your state, as well as payment for your participation, you may actually have a three way split.
For example, if the commission were 4% overall, the listing representative would take 2%, you would take 1% and the agent actually providing the buyer would take 1%. Would this be enough? It is always a matter of who is doing to work and what is the value of the listing and the buyer in a transaction!
Do seek appropriate legal advice in your state before entering into an out-of-state transaction if you expect to earn a portion of the commission.
Onward and upward... Rob Baird

Jun 14, 2011
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question