How do I findout how a building is zoned?

There is a barbershop I want to buy, it would be extremely easy to buy if I can call it residential, here is the run down, it had a apartment ontop of it that I would live in barbershp downstairs and it is on a residential block
In Buying Property - Asked by Romairro G. - Feb 19, 2009
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Sam D.
Morrisville, NC

Call the city zoning department.

Feb 19, 2009
Report Abuse
Jim T.
Abilene, TX

You cna call the city zoning department, or you can check the city or county tax rolls. The benefit of checking the tax rolls is that you find out the owner name and property and building value.

Feb 20, 2009
Report Abuse
Charlie G.
Atlanta, GA

I would suggest calling the city if it's incorporated, but also checking the tax rolls to find out who owns it because the city is going to want you to identify the property. If it's not incorporated into the city, it will be a part of the County's Plan and then you'd call the county. Check out the City or County website and you should find websites for the Planning Departments. will give you the definition and regulations for the zoning codes, like RM-8, GC, etc., for a lot of the cities and counties in the nation.

Feb 24, 2009
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question