Do you need a realtor to sell a business?

In General Area - Asked by Patricia V. - Oct 27, 2009
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Loren A.
Denver, CO

In Colorado if you are the owner of the business you are free to sell the business and property yourself. If the business transaction does not include real estate (land, buildings, lease agreements), then a non-licensed agent can represent your business. However, if the business transaction includes any real estate, then if you hire an agent they must have a real estate broker license.
The question of "need" is important. A broker experienced in the preparation of your business for sale, dealing with potential buyers, assisting with contracting terms and closing can be valuable. My belief is that the business owner should focus on running the business so the business remains viable and attractive to potential buyers.
L. Alexander - Broker - Denver

Oct 27, 2009
Report Abuse
Timothy M.
Etna, OH

Loren is correct.
Sellers should focus on what they do best, and not let the sale of their business distract from the daily operations.

Oct 29, 2009
Report Abuse
Larry J.
Poughkeepsie, NY

Loren is correct and you should be very careful which Realtor you select when it comes to commercial properties. Remember that 90, maybe even 99% of all Licensed Real Estate Agents only know residential. Commercial and more so, a Business,s is a very different animal. Also, being a Realtor means we joined a group. You can not be a Realtor without being licensed, but The National Association of Realtors does not license the agents, the state does! This is probably one of the biggest areas of confusion in our industry. You will find fewer "Realtors" in the commercial sector and those that are are under the Commercial Division which uses a RED "R" and also go by RCA sometimes. You can see the difference here:

Oct 29, 2009
Report Abuse
Gregory G.
San Francisco, CA

If it includes real estate.
Gregory Garver - Commercial Real Estate Broker
Broker License# 01716531

Nov 6, 2009
Report Abuse
Stephen F.
Lender/Mortgage Broker
Maple Shade, NJ

you need to look for a business broker, many states do not require a real estate license if no real estate is included in the transaction and your local business brokers will be best to talk to. If they are reputable they will have licensed agents on staff. You wouldn't got to a brain surgeon to get your heart operated on would you? Specialists are always the best people to call for anything.

Dec 4, 2009
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question