In Leasing Property - Asked by DONNA M. - Oct 25, 2012
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Rene G.
Austin, TX

Yes, especially if you plan on receiving a commission.

Oct 25, 2012
Report Abuse
Jim R.
Klamath Falls, OR

Not if you own the property or are the trustee of the trust that owns the property or are the attorney in fact under a power of attorney. As stated by Rene G., if you are NOT one if the above and receive a commission for acquiring a tenant, then you must be licensed. There are other ways that you can get around having a license so long as you do not receive a commission for securing a tenant.

Oct 25, 2012
Report Abuse
Don P.
Glenview, IL

This depends on the state, but generally speaking you need to licensed.
Note that having a real estate license is different than being a Realtor. Being a Realtor is not required---being a licensed real estate agent/broker is.
I attached a link to the Realtor website to give you a better idea of Realtor vs. Broker/Agent.

Oct 25, 2012
Report Abuse
Rob B.
Chandler, AZ

Be very careful, if you are not an owner in the property. Otherwise, you it is highly likely that you need a license to practice real estate.
By your question it appears that you are connected with the residential real estate market, in that you use the term "Realtor", which largely is made up of residential agents, who belong to the National Association of Realtors".
Most leasing, other than the leasing of a single family home, or perhaps units of four or less is done by commercially trained and experienced real estate brokers, or agents working under a broker.
It would be my recommendation before doing any leasing other than as an owner, that you associate with a real estate office, as a licensed real estate agent, where you can receive excellent training and guidance in commercial real estate.
Onward and Upward....
Rob Baird

Oct 30, 2012
Report Abuse
Monica M.
Valencia, CA

If you are leasing the space as a tenant then you do not need to be a licensed real estate agent. If you are leasing it to someone then, yes, you do need to be licensed UNLESS you own the building.

Nov 1, 2012
Report Abuse
Rick J.
Brattleboro, VT

First of all there is no such thing as a licensed realtor. Realtors are just members of the National Association of Realtors, a professional association. Licenses are issued by the state real estate commission. Second, the laws of each state determine whether you need a license to handle leasing and property management. In VT you don't in NH you do. Then you get to the real question of what is a commission. That is something that needs to be updated to the 21st century in many states. Many real estate commissions are still operating as if it was 1980. Rick J.

Nov 20, 2012
Report Abuse
karim j.
Fort Worth, TX

"Many real estate commissions are still operating as if it was 1980. Rick J."
rick what do you mean by this? how should commissions evolve to the present times and why? thanks

Nov 28, 2012
Report Abuse
Chris S.
Coeur D'alene, ID

It depends on the state. In Idaho, licensing is not required for leasing BUT it is recommended any many CRE firms still require their agents to maintain a license.

Mar 11, 2013
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question