Can an agent licensed in one state receive a commission on an commercial property in another state

In General Area - Asked by Neil A. - Nov 12, 2016
Report Abuse
Answer this Question


Brian B.
Northridge, CA

Yes, as a referral usually 25%, but you need Referral Agreements in place.

Nov 12, 2016
Report Abuse
Roger T.
Modesto, CA

It depends on the the state. Some states have reciprocity with other states. Other states will allow an out of state agent to represent a buyer, but not a seller. It is best to research the laws particular to the state at issue. Otherwise, if representing a buyer, make sure your representation agreement covers an out of state transaction where you are not licensed.

Nov 13, 2016
Report Abuse
J. David F.
Brentwood, TN

In Tennessee, an agent not licensed for Tennessee may only receive a referral payment. They may NOT participate at all in the transaction nor receive a commission absent a Tennessee issued license.
Regarding reciprocity: Tennessee no longer recognizes blanket reciprocity, but will issue a license to out of state licensee applicant on a case by case review. There may be a requirement to only test on state law or take a course and a test, as the Tennessee Real Estate Commission may determine appropriate.
In any case only those with a Tennessee license may participate directly in the transaction regardless of the side of the transaction and receive a commission. Otherwise a referral with no participation is the rule. BTW: I am a state approved instructor.

Nov 15, 2016
Report Abuse
Carol S.
Wilmington, DE

Depends on the State in which you are trying to complete a transaction. There are Turf States which require you to have a license in that state to partake in any real estate dealings, including showing or touring properties, in order for you to be paid a commission or co-broke. Out of state agents/brokers can not bring lawsuits for commissions in turf states. Best to consult your broker if unsure or your real estate commission for more thorough answers.

Nov 16, 2016
Report Abuse
Javier D.
Scottsdale, AZ

It will all depend on the state. You can request a referral fee from the other agent. If you are interested in working with Referrals in the state of Arizona, let me know and I can give you additional details.

Nov 25, 2016
Report Abuse

Welcome to Answers

LoopNet Answers is where the commercial real estate community shares what they know to help each other out. And it's all for free.

Ask a question to get advice from brokers, investors, professionals and local experts.

Answer questions to raise your visibility as a trusted advisor and build new relationships.

Ask a Question

Post Question